Reel Big Fish celebrates 20 years in Portland February 8, 2017

Long ago in a galaxy not so far away, a ska band won the hearts and souls of everyone who heard their sound and energy.

For me, it was 20 years ago at a big festival show in George, Washington.  They took the stage, and I looked at the group of people I was with and said, "Who is this?"  As soon as I heard them say, "We're Reel Big Fish" I went in search of their merch tent.  This girl was not going home without some Reel Big Fish in her CD player.

While waiting in line, this guy in a crazy Hawaiian shirt looked at me and said, "Come here!"

That was the beginning of my love for Reel Big Fish.  Don't get any ideas, beers and laughter was what was shared.  I'm not that kind of groupie, gosh!  But, it did begin one of the most profound sound affairs I have had with a musical group.

Reel Big Fish's sound is definitely 100% ska, but their hilarious lyrics are always rooted in truth in a way that allows them to say what everyone is thinking but isn't always willing to say themselves.  Live, they have the energy of a 6-year-old boy on ADHD to the nth degree, which means this girl can keep right up.  It's like being in a room filled with rubber bouncy balls that sing and dance.

Tonight, they hit the Portland stage with Anti-Flag at the Roseland Theater to celebrate 20 years of cranking out crazy tunes.

If you're not doing anything, you should be going to the Reel Big Fish show.  You won't be disappointed, unless you hate ska and you are disappointed by fun.  If that's the case, go find a nice quiet dark room to hang out in.  I, on the other hand will be in the pit acting out their song 'In the Pit'.

Find tickets here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The paths we choose

Just add water

Women of Faith Talk Back-The gift of telling stories